Sunday, October 5, 2008

Rainy Days

I started this blog to connect with all of the people who are in our lives and wanted to find a way to help us when Steve was in the hospital and coming home still in significant recovery. And then he started to do well and it became a forum to me to discuss all of my craziness. So... I will no longer be emailing my posts to others, this will be the last one. This is so, you don't have to read my blog, my rambling crazy blog, where I discuss my thoughts and my fears. Or you can. It will be your choice. All of a sudden, I have been feeling like I am telling too much...
So in my crazy mind, I will continue to say insane things, vent and rant, pray and laugh, but on my own. But of course, if I don't email my post, you will not read it right?!

On that note, Steve is doing well. He is walking more and more without assistance, he has a hitch in his step, which is odd to watch and causes pain towards the end of the day. He is trying to walk normal, but that is hard for him, it takes thought and effort and patience, all of which he claims he is not good at. He continues to have therapy 2-3 times a week, focusing on rebuilding his muscles, his legs are thin and weak, which is unusual because Steve has always been known for his strong and muscular legs. His knees are in rough shape, because not only were they damanged in the accident, but the rods for his broken bones were pushed through his knees, this is what causes him the most pain. His circulation is still poor, he is very cold most of the time, so we are working at keeping him warm in a season that is not warm. He will be trying to wear some special socks to move his circulation, hopefully that will help. Emotionally, he is stressed, not about recovery, but about money. We are not sure how to find a job outside of his field, he is a good man, and always had it in the back of his mind, that if he got laid off, he could do something physical for a while, to put money in the bank, and right now, this is just not possible. He is not restricted too much for a desk job, but he is for a standing, labor and walking job.

And honestly, Steve and I are spoiled, very very spoiled. We don't do no money well. We like money, like to have it adn like the freedom that it provided. We were not rich, prior to this, we were comfortable. We could not buy everything taht we wanted, but we could go out to dinner if we wanted to.

The other night, we needed to get out, a wonderful friend sent us gift card to Big Boy (THANK YOU), and we have $6 left on the cards. So we went and as a family split a sundae and a cinnamon roll. We had two dollars for the tip. It was great for the girls, they loved it was really cool and great to share. We thought, "this sucks". It was our wedding anniversary and we wanted to celebrate it some how.

And honestly, it is romantic to share your dessert with your man, feeding eachother and looking lovingly in his eyes.

But to share a cinnamon roll with your two year old who wipes her stickiness on your pants as she looks lovingly in your eyes... not the same feeling. We did sit across from each other and look longingly into each other eyes, but I don't think out of love, I think out of silliness and humor.

If you don't laugh, you cry, right?!

But this is a lesson for us, and we intend to learn from it. When we are able to, we will put more money away for an emergency. Thanks to generous people, we have about one month of bills saved up. So, if the worst happens, we can pay our bills without fail for one month. When we get out of this, I will be putting away at least three months worth. Because this is scary. However, we are not in terrible trouble yet, because we still have cable, we still have cell phones and internet access. These things will go before our house does.

So, my children know what the "b" word is and in church today we talked about worries and my wise little girl said outloud "I don't have any worries." So a major accident, a dad in the hospital for one month, dad losing his job and money is being watched and she has nothing to worry about. I say that we are doing okay. "Don't worry about anything, Pray about everything."

After every major storm, there is a rainbow, which is a promise from God that He will always take care of us, through each storm. I don't see that rainbow yet, but I just know that it will be on the horizon. Good thing we have you, our lovely support system to act as our umbrella.

Speaking of Storms and Rainy days. I am walking next weekend for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. This is the Out of the Darkness walk and I would love your financial support, if you can. This money does not go to our family, this money goes to support programs for people who are depressed and suicidial. We want to support these programs, so that they can continue to save lives. My site is:




Please consider giving, if you can. The girls and I will be walking. In case that you can get there from this link, please log on to www.outofthedarkness.org and seach for me or my team Allen Park Community. I would love your support.

1 comment:

four little blessings said...

No worries. I LIKE it! :) Hope to see you soon!