Thursday, November 6, 2008

Abnormal Growth

I must tell you before I begin with Steve's progress that I just love creating the titles. The title of each blog is my summary, my inspiration and sometimes my inside joke. Typically each title has double meanings... but most of the time, you would have to understand me and my thought process to understand all of the meanings!

This one, I will explain, because I know that you are dying of curiosity to get inside of my head.

Steve's bone was growing abnormally, all five bones were plateauing and not maintaining an appropriate pace of development. He was placed on an ultrasound machine for bone stimulation daily, as well as medications, supplements, therapy etc. This was not effective on his femur, so he had surgery on Tuesday to correct the femur surgically because it was growing abnormally.

Our family has changed and will continue to change and we are trying to grow from it, learn and change as a result of all that has happened to us and that will happen to us. But growth, in difficult circumstances, is challenging, so we ARE growing, just a bit abnormally right now. I promise that I will not do any radical treatment on my family to get them to be back to normal. Although I might need a radical intervention to get me back to normal. Boy am I stressed... I need a intervention day, Steve has got to go to the hospital to correct his abnormal growth, why can't I go the spa to correct mine?

Get it?! I know, I know, what a riot. Steve keeps telling me that I am not funny, but seriously, my wit and my charm is unstoppable. Or as I like to say to him, I am not funny for you, I am typically amusing myself, so Whatever!

Okay, back to the topic at hand. Steve's femur was not a compound break, but it did shatter a bit. One chip came off when he was struck. This chip was suppose to reconnect to his femur, alas much like the man himself, it was stubborn and wanted to do it's own thing. I had no idea that bones could take on the personality of their host!

So his chip (we thought it was large in size, but the doctor thought a size of a helicopter seed) was causing him problems and was not progressing. His other bones are responding to treatment and doing much better in terms of stabilizing and healing. However his bone in his femur was not stabilizing as well. So when the surgery was in process, the decision was to shave the chip to fit back into the femur. But when he opened up the leg, the chip was not a chip at all it was a chunk! A massive growth on the side of his newly trying really hard to develop femur. So, what to do? Extract it of course! Lope that sucker off! The bone will not have to figure out which direction to go in... it can just develop in it's normal up and down way.

He has had two days out and he is doing really well, walking with support, standing and trying to gain more strength. He is doing well. He is very strong, and I have proof of this, the surgeon said that his muscle was really responsive and fighting them every step of the way, which shows it's determination and strength (okay, another body part that is like it's host).

Thank you for your prayers, your thoughts and your hope.

We are blessed with abnormal growth. Please don't allow anyone to lope us off though!!! We need support, prayers and love, not radical intervention!

4 comments:

four little blessings said...

I will not ask for you to be removed! Not ever. Never.

I miss you!

We MUST get together sometime soon.... very soon.

Niki said...

Whenever you decide that you need to re-coup with a spa day, just give me a call. My treat.

Dick Hale said...

Sorry Keniami, just saw this post. I must be getting behind. Anyway, what you all need is a beach day. Get your family's multiple butts down here so all of you can sit in the sand and let the ocean do it's healing. Best thing for everyone!
Your Uncle Dick

Kendra Linn said...

Trust me, Uncle Dick we are coming... December I will be at the Beach if you need me!